This programme is designed mainly to prepare students for a professional career as science and environmental writers, reporters and editors in the media industry, research institutions and environment related organisations. Even though this programme is geared towards preparing students for the professional track, most of the courses are theory-based. It is believed that a strong understanding of the media processes and practices as well as the role of science in society will enable communicators to make significant contributions to the public understanding of science and environmental issues.
Students are required to obtain a total of 42 units:
- Communication, Science and Society.
- Seminar on Media, Science and Environment.
- Science Journalism Ethics and Law.
- Documentary Production of Science and Environment.
- Science Writing for Public Relations.
- Production of Science and Environmental News.
- Communication, Ecology and Society .
- Media and Environmental Conservation .
- Research Project .
- A relevant first degree with honours or equivalent, from a recognised university.
- Malaysia aplicants should obtain a least a credit in Bahasa Malaysia at SPM level or its equivalent.
- Foreign applicants should have English proficiency of TOEFL (550)or IELTS Band 6. Alternatively they must pass the Universiti Sains Malaysia Intensive English at Level Three.